Home of the Trumbull, CT EFCA Bible Quiz Team.

The Trumbull Bible Quiz Team has ended. Thank you for 30 years of happy Bible Quizzing.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Should a non-Christian read the Bible?

We know why it is important for a Christian to read the Bible, but what about non-Christians? One agnostic decided to try it out, and was surprised by what he learned.
While reading the Bible, I often felt as if I had finally lifted a veil from my eyes. I learned that I hadn't known the true nature of God's conflict with Job, which is the ur-text of all subsequent discussions of obedience and faith. I realized I was ignorant of the story of Ruth. I was unaware of the radical theology of Ecclesiastes, the source of so many of our ideas about the good life. I didn't know who Jezebel was, or why we loathe her, or why she is the painted lady, or even that she was married to Ahab.
Scripture says that God's word does not return to Him void. Reading the Bible is beneficial for everyone, especially anyone who wants to understand Western civilization.