Home of the Trumbull, CT EFCA Bible Quiz Team.

The Trumbull Bible Quiz Team has ended. Thank you for 30 years of happy Bible Quizzing.

Monday, August 31, 2009

The Walking Bible of West Tennessee

As Bible Quizzers, we work very hard to learn scripture. But for some, memorization is an inborn gift and the wise ones use that gift to commit the Bible to their memory. One such man in Tennessee has memorized so much of the Bible that he can recite almost any portion from memory at any time. And apparently, he is challenged all the time.
For more than 44 years, Matlock has been evangelizing, at the encouragement of his parents, Matlock said.

"I started studying the gospel when I was 12 years old, along with my homework," he said. "I used to sit and learn spelling words. I thought, 'If I can memorize my homework, I can memorize scripture.'"

The first passage Matlock memorized was John 1:1-5. From there, he moved on to other well-known passages to cover the entire Bible. His favorite verse is Romans 8:31.

"I want a relationship with Jesus more than just reading and memorizing verses," he said.
Who knows where your scripture memorization may take you in the years to come?