Home of the Trumbull, CT EFCA Bible Quiz Team.

The Trumbull Bible Quiz Team has ended. Thank you for 30 years of happy Bible Quizzing.

Sunday, May 15, 2005

Wrestling with God... Or Wrestling FOR God?

When I was in Youth Group, there were a lot of ways that the Youth Pastors in our area used to get kids interested in spiritual things. I can remember a Karate Demonstration (done with Carmen's "The Champion" playing the background), bowling nights, gym nights, outdoor drama presentations, handbells, and much more. Well, now a Canadian church is looking to do something I had never imagined - combining pro wrestling and outreach.
Following tomorrow's 11 a.m. service at St. Philip's Anglican Church, local rassler Hulk Hollywood will walk up to the lectern and invite the congregation downstairs for some turnbuckle-shaking action.
"I want the church to be sort of cool and hip. Tradition is fine, but let's get on with it," said David Bain, a congregant at St. Philip's who does outreach work for the church..."Everyone wrestles with God in one way or another," said Bain. "Wrestling has always been about the classic battle between good and evil."
I have to admit it isn't my cup of tea. But then, Paul said, "I have become all things to all men so that by all possible means I might save some." (1 Corinthians 9:22)