Home of the Trumbull, CT EFCA Bible Quiz Team.

The Trumbull Bible Quiz Team has ended. Thank you for 30 years of happy Bible Quizzing.

Monday, October 30, 2006

DID YOU KNOW: After Many Days...

In Acts 9, there is a little phrase that is worthy of note...
Yet Saul grew more and more powerful and baffled the Jews living in Damascus by proving that Jesus is the Christ.
After many days had gone by, the Jews conspired to kill him, but Saul learned of their plan. Day and night they kept close watch on the city gates in order to kill him.
Acts 9:22-24
As you read "after many days," what sense did you get for how long that time period was? A couple days? A week? Maybe a month? Maybe a bit longer...
But when God, who set me apart from birth[a] and called me by his grace, was pleased 16to reveal his Son in me so that I might preach him among the Gentiles, I did not consult any man, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to see those who were apostles before I was, but I went immediately into Arabia and later returned to Damascus. Then after three years, I went up to Jerusalem to get acquainted with Peter and stayed with him fifteen days.
Galatians 1:15-18
That is right "many days" becomes "three years" when we focus in on it. So we should be aware that the timeframe of Acts is not so short or quick as we'd guess from the narrative alone.